Comment on page
Enable digital signage mode on Apple TV
Let your Blackdove app be launched automatically when the Apple TV is on
- 1.USB-C cable (Apple TV 4G only) / Ethernet cable (Apple TV 4G and Apple TV 5G (4K))
- 2.Apple Configurator 2 installed on your Mac
- 1.Your Mac and Apple TV are connected to the same network
- 2.Apple TV is connected to the network using Ethernet
- 3.The device should be on and displaying “Pair Your Remote” screen. To do so start with an Apple TV that hasn’t been set up, or erases it first. To erase go to Settings > System > Reset.
- 4.On your Mac, launch Apple Configurator
- 5.In your menu bar, open Apple Configurator 2 > Paired Devices…
- 6.Select your Apple TV in the Paired Devices list, then click Pair
- 7.On your Mac, enter the 6 digit pin that appears on the screen of your Apple TV
- 8.Close Paired Devices window
Warning! This will erase your device!
- 1.Launch Apple Configurator
2. Connect your device to your Mac via USB-C cable (skip if using Ethernet pairing)
3. Select your device
4. Click ‘Prepare’ button
5. Click ‘Next’ button
6. Click ‘Next’ button, again:
7. If you have already created your organization, select it here, if not, go ahead and select “New Organization”:
8. If your organization is a member of Apple Device Enrollment program, log in here, if not, click ‘Skip’
9. Enter your organization name, click ‘Next’:
10. Select ‘Generate a new supervision identity’ and click ‘Next’:
12. Click ‘Prepare’
13. Use Touch ID or enter your password when requested
14. If you get a message saying the device is already prepared, click ‘Erase’ to erase and prepare device again.
1. When the device is restarted, pair your remote by tapping on it
2. Connect to your Wi-Fi network (if not using wired connection)
3. Login in to your Apple ID (pro-tip: At this point, you can already use Apple TV Remote app or iOS 11 built-in Apple TV Remote for faster credential input)
1. Open App Store on your device
2. Go to ‘Search’ tab
3. Enter Blackdove in the search field
4. Tap on the Blackdove icon
5. Tap ‘Install’ ( and after you will be able to activate Apple TV Kiosk Mode)
1. Go back to Apple Configurator 2 on your Mac, you should see your newly prepared device under ‘Supervised’ tab.
2. Right-click on your Device and select ‘Advanced > Start Single App Mode…’
3. Right-click on your Device and select ‘Advanced > Start Single App Mode…’
4. Apple TV screen will flicker and Blackdove will start, you’re done.
If you find this process too cumbersome or labor-intensive, e.g. when you have more than a couple of devices, we provide integration with MDM providers (like JAMF) and support for mass deployment and registration of devices (skipping the installation from App Store and the Setup Code phase altogether).
So if you’d like that, please contact us, we’re glad to help.